JOB TITLE Parent/Child Teacher
Harmony uses the power of natural play to build each child’s creativity and problem-solving skills while fostering powerful, purposeful play. Our thoughtfully designed play spaces foster connection, discovery and natural learning. Our specialized Harmony Approach offers the perfect blend of play-based, emergent curriculum with the rhythms and expectations that make for a respectful learning environment. Self-constructed learning is valued to help children flourish into life-long inquisitive, independent and confident learners. There is an emphasis on outdoor experiences utilizing our discovery garden, large back yard space and nature trail.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Provide a welcoming atmosphere for families, conducive to open parent communication and education.
• Provide respectful, direct parent education when appropriate and solicited by parents. Provide significant indirect parent education through modeling developmentally-appropriate interactions, activities and boundaries during classes, as well as written parent education displays and documentation of learning from classes.
• Maintain a classroom environment that maximizes learning potential through familiar rhythms, visual aesthetics and a calm, warm, authoritative presence.
• Curate play invitations across three classroom environments on a weekly basis. Provide creative design of age and developmentally-appropriate play inspirations using a variety of unique materials, tying in seasonal and early learning concepts.
• Attending and active participation in individual and team meetings with Harmony’s Parent Educator and full teaching team, focused on programming, Center philosophy, enhancing teaching practices and needs of individual families.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
• September - June: 22-24 h/wk
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 9:00am-1:30pm (plus one extended team meeting/month)
• July - August: 12 h/wk for 6 weeks
Schedule: Tuesday – Thursday, 8:30am - 12:30pm
• Curriculum provided by Harmony—no outside planning time required.
Ideal candidate has professional experience and/or certification in early childhood education, has personal parenting experience and embodies a calm, thoughtful presence with infants, toddlers, young children and parents. Candidate should be passionate about fostering a natural, play-based, early learning environment while supporting families through the joys and challenges of raising young children. Candidate should work well independently within a wider teaching team.
If you meet the above description, please send your cover letter and resume to Amy@harmonynlc.com. We look forward to hearing from you!